Thursday, August 26, 2010

Working with Andrew and Row clean up

Weather: high of 82oF, sunny

Today I worked with Andrew again in the children's garden. It was a fairly simple morning, we cut back some Tracelospernum jasminoides and a variegated Ivy. A nice climber with dark green leaves and very scented jasmine-like flowers (hence jasminoides). It is in the family Apocynaceae, which is fast becoming one of my favourite families. Like most of the plants in Apocynaceae it has oppositely arranged leaves and exudes a milky sticky sap when cut. After we finished we watered and groomed. I enjoy working with Andrew as he is very knowledgeable and a real plants person, and is also keen to learn. Whilst working we compiled a list of things to check out on the Internet.  here is some of it:

-checked latin meanings for Cissus. it means Ivy -like. Partheno is 'virginal', young. Hence 'parthenophobia' is the irrational fear of young women. Ha.
-The 'fruits' on Taxus, Podaocarpus, Afrocarpus, Dacrydium etc are actually modified cones with fused scales.
-I thought that Ibuprofen was found in the bark of a tree, and we wanted to find out which tree. But, apparently it is a myth. Good to know. Although the chemical structure of Ibuprofen is similar to Asprin,  which was originally derived from a plant, Salix.
-Plants. I showed him some NZ natives (I was showing him some last week). He is most interesting in new genera, so I showed him Celmisia  and Tecomanthe. I tried to find a photo of a alpine hebe but couldn't find one... Dam

After lunch the students had row clean up. Although there wasn't many of us due to the fact that a lot of the interns have just left. There was a leaving party last night. Tis a bit of a shame. But there is another 9 turning up next week! For row clean up i helped clean out the cold frames. We also went through the houses and got rid of peoples old junk. I scored some wood which I will make some planter boxes out of, and hopefully bring some order to my garden which is a bit of a jungle! I think that's this weekends project, as I need to get some fall crops in.

After work I tried my homebrew. Quite tasty! certainly evolving for the better, another week will be good for it, though it was quite drinkable today. The head was thicker and lasted longer, a sign that the yeast have carbonated it well. Its a bit cloudy, but it is also unfiltered, and its also a first. Taste is still slightly sour, but it was a nice hops content. I have no idea what the alcohol content is as I forgot to take my second hydrometer reading. its now been officially named by me John and David. Pillage IPA. Has a nice ring to it. I think the next brew will be Totally Tits...



No comments:

Post a Comment