Weather: Sunny, high of 85
Worked with Andrew again in the children's garden today.
First off we changed the 'hair' in drooling dragon. The hair is made of grasses, but they had died due to the planter bed being a bog with a lack of drainage... It is a bad design flaw, and a mistake that shouldnt have been made. It was pretty rank. To remove the water we used a workshop wet/dry vacuum. Choice! Hadnt used one before, theyre definitely handy. This is a photo before we changed.
Its looks good after. I need a photo! Didnt have my camera with me. I wonder how long the new plants will last?
After that I thinned out some bamboo. And then added soil (a very gravely mix) to the the edges of some of the beds where it has been compacted. Brought it level to the pavement to reduce tripping hazard.
After lunch we had a ice cream break. Very nice of the Hort department! Also the PGs had a vege sale to fund raise for their trip. They don't know where they're going yet, but I think they've narrowed their choices down to southeast Asia, Australia and the UK. Jealous! Still, Im on a trip right now I guess.
I then watered the fruit houses. They are historical houses that originally produced fruit for the Dupont households. There are a number of nectarine trees as they were Piere Duponts favourite fruit. The varieties were chosen so that they ripen in succession. There are also figs and grapes. Unfortunately the soil in the house is a very compacted, and this means that watering can be a slow process as you have to wait for the water to soak in. And as I found out, it also turns into a mud pit...
For the last part of the day I tied tomatoes. Interesting way of doing it, tying string to a wire above with a clove hitch and then then simply wrapping around the plant and tying off at the base. Side shoots are cut off. I didn't have my camera but will try to get a photo soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment