Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Hacking back Petrea

Weather: Overcast with a high of 86oF

In the morning I cut back and pruned the Petrea (Queens Wreath) vine in the rose house. It was pretty wild and had started to grow out the ceiling. Tim said to cut it back hard to 2-3 buds from the last prune. Petrea is a genus of vines in the Verbena family and are native to Mexico and Central America. They have attractive panicles of blue flowers. Its leaves are rough to tough with a serrated margin, giving it another common name, Sandpaper Vine. I noticed that my arms got scratched up, but I didnt find it too bad.

Some species may be invasive, but I found Petrea volubilis on the MAF Biosecurity index (http://www1.maf.govt.nz/cgi-bin/bioindex/bioindex.pl), meaning it is allowed into NZ.

Found a good weed site for the US, http://plants.usda.gov/java/invasiveOne?startChar=C

In the afternoon I watered the rose house, everything except the roses got fertilizer (although it is essentially 'half strength', 350 ppm).
I then helped Tim clean up one of the lily ponds, removing old leafs and spent flowers.

When I got home I checked my vege patch. The parasitised caterpiller was there. I cut the stem it was on and gave it to my friend John, a PG who is doing an entomology project. Then Carolyn touched it. This happened...

No comments:

Post a Comment