Monday, August 23, 2010

Bed changes in main and horticulture department 'town hall' meeting

Weather, partly cloudy, high of 87oF

In the morning I did bed changes and planted with Karl. We pulled out New guinea impatians on the east wall of the exhibition hall, and replaced with a Plectranthus hilliardiae. Then we pulled out Begonia  cv Richmondis and some Caladium 'Miss muffet', and replaced with what I thought was Begonia elatior hybrid, but Karl said was Begoniax x hiemalis.  We planted them in their terracotta pots, in attempt to reduce humidity by keeping surrounding soil drier as they are prone to powdery mildew. I cleaned up lawn, and then we had...
Horticulture 'town hall' meeting. A twice yearly catch up. Some parts didn't concern me, for example the implementation of new performance appraisals which I am not subject to as an intern. But the rest of the meeting consisted of the various heads; grounds, display, production and research, plant health, programming talking about their areas. Interesting, as i certainly haven't had a chance to talk to some of the. Highlights were Jim from production and research talking about new plant research and trials, partnerships with university's and http://www.longwoodgardens.org/PlantBreedersConference.html, which I would be interested in going to. Another highlight was Casey Sclar of plant health talking about Longwoods carbon neutral ambitions, and the details of the 'environmental audit'. Programming was interesting, but I had already heard a lot of it at the design meeting a few weeks ago.
After lunch I tidied, replaced plants in the low rosemary hedge that is currently in the conservatory. Looking a bit tatty. a job to continue. Also composting.

No comments:

Post a Comment