Most of today was fairly uneventful. Tim was away until 2pm due to the fact on thursdays he gives a talk on waterlilys at 8pm, and therefore starts late. So most of the day I watered, but I also cleaned up the hibiscus and weeded in the rose bed unil it became too hot. In the afternoon I got in the pools and cleaned up some waterlilies. Everything is looking pretty ship shape though.
At 2.30 we went to Philips mushrrom farm, which was only about 10 minutes away in Kennett Square. We were given a tour by one of the managers there.
Kennett Square is the mushroom capital of the world. I had heard that, and noticed the mushroom farms before (its hard not to as they tend to stink), but I didnt realise that this is where commercial mushroom cultivation started. Apparently a carnation grower in the 1890s tried it, and then built the first mushroom house which is still standing in Kennett. Since then though the industry has expanded hugely, and is Pennsylvanias top agriculture earner.
Philips mushroom farm specialises in specialty mushrooms, but they also grow some white button and portabello mushrooms (both are Agaricus bisporus, just different varieties).
That was the first house we visited. It quickly became how much science goes into commercial mushroom cultivation. They are grown in an air contitioned house, and the CO2 levels can also be controlled depending on the stage of cultivation. Agaricus bisporus is grown on a compost (or substrate) mainly composed of hay or straw but includes gypsum for pH and nitrogen. It requires a lot of hay and straw to make the compost, 1000s of acres. This makes sense, because I had noted driving around the area that there was little livestock, but a lot of hay making. Probably due to the mushroom industry.
When the compost is ready it is put in long trays in the houses and staked. The mushroom spawn and a nutrient/protein mix is added, and then everything is tilled to an even mix and compaction. After 18 days the mix is colonised and a casing of peat moss is applied 2 inches think on top.
#Continue! -visited oyster, shitake, hen of the woods house...






No comments:
Post a Comment