Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Watering and edging

Weather: Hot and sunny, but a little different today in that it was also windy. After Wellington it really wasnt that bad! High of 89

-First off in the morning I set up irrigation (this time in the pink border) and then watered the Brugmansias. The Brugmansias are a cultivar called 'Milk and Honey'. Pale cream  and scented flowers. Over the weekend the have flushed and currently have a huge amount of flowers on them. Very cool. But at the same time, they also require a lot of work. Lots of fert and water.
-After watering I got on with the main task of the day; creating a edge between some Ivy and grass bordering the cow lot (the large expanse of turf in the middle of Longwood). The Ivy was growing into the grass, and as the mowers were only mowing up to the Ivy it was starting to look a bit messy. Do build the edge I first used a edge trimmer (edgers) to cut the Ivy back by about a foot. After ripping the Ivy out I then edged the grass and filled in the foot wide strip with some mulch. Looked  tidier. I then spread what mulch I had left around some of the trees and trimmed some more Ivy along paths near the open air theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment