Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Water water water

Weather: Hot... Sunny. High of 95oF. Maybe hotter...

-Am. Water. Set up tripod irrigation on the pink border.
-Then got into white border and staked Nicotianas that have been falling over. The job has been put off  an bit, because well, Thyre sticky and its not a pleasant job. I had no idea the were so sticky! But I guess that fits as theyre solanaceous. Like petunias, tomatoes, daturas... Theyre all kinda furry, sticky. But none like Nicotiana! I learnt a new plant while I was in the white border, Veronicastrum viginenicum. It is a perennial in the Plantaginaceae famnily native to the eastern united states.-

-Arvo. More watering... the square fountain Salvia splendans 'Van Houttei' were flagging. And in the yellow border the mums and the Solidago were starting to show signs of stress. I found it interesting as the soil seem moist. But as Mark pointed out, many of the plants, esspecially newly planted plants like the mums havent extended their rootballs yet. So while the soil may be moist, the plants rootballs are dry. And I was surprised by the Solidagos, which I thought were pretty dry/heat tolerant. But again, theyve come out of a nursery were their every need was catered to, a spoilt kid into the real world will drop a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment