Monday, February 21, 2011

Tying in Norantea brasiliensis

Weather: Overcast, cool.

The mornings project was attempting to control a Norantea brasiliensis vine in the Cascade garden. N. brasiliensis is native to Brasil (hence the ensis suffix). It has ovate, alternate glossy dark green leaves and also produces fleshy adventitious roots. The plant at longwood has not been flowering, and after some research Joyce discovered that it flowers on the terminal ends of shoots. Therefore as the plant had been pruned to control its size, it was not getting the opportunity to flower. In order to attempt to both control the vine but give it a chance to flower Joyce has been tying and training the vine in using black wire. Whilst I was working away near the roof in a tucked away corner I noticed a flower bud! So exciting, it hasn't flowered in... Well, no one knows, maybe never. Pat Nutt (an ex longwood employee and local legend) said that it may have flowered in the 60's here.

Lunchtime included a brown bag presentation of the Grad students trip to India. Very interesting, though it sounds like a tough trip. I want to go!

After lunch I worked on a project for Joyce, compiling information on nutritional deficiencies of palms.

No comments:

Post a Comment